Monday, November 3, 2014

the broccoli-hating vegan

I did have one strong moment yesterday when my fiance and I were traveling back home from New York, where we attended a wedding and spent time with his family on Long Island. We went to P.F. Chang's for dinner where I have always gotten the Crispy Honey Shrimp and he even asked me if that was what I wanted. But I turned to him and said adamantly, "No. I'm vegan now." That was really hard for me to do because shrimp and crab were among my favorite dishes. But I felt pretty damn victorious and resolute!

The other hard thing for me to give up has been dairy, just things like coffee creamer and a little bit of cheese on my sandwich. I wasn't a milk drinker at all before, which I guess is a good thing considering the studies (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/10/31/study-milk-may-not-be-very-good-for-bones-or-the-body/) coming out recently. I switched to almond milk years ago, so I don't miss cow's milk at all in my cereal or for other cooking. But for coffee creamer, it's just not the same. Oh, and ice cream. I cannot forget the deliciousness I used to enjoy known as ice cream.

We also had this conversation at dinner last night.

Him: Here, try this asparagus. It's bangin'!

Me: Okay (taking bite and chewing tentatively, trying to be positive.) I think I might as well just start eating flower stems. That's what it tastes like to me (shaking my head apologetically.)

Him. Well, it basically is. (He shoves another forkful enthusiastically into his mouth.)

...later...

Me: (Watching him attack a plate of steaming broccoli) I think you are personally offended that I don't like broccoli.

Him: I'm not personally offended. I just don't understand it.

Me: What's to understand? It just tastes bad! (This time, he's shaking his head.)

I did eat the vegetarian lettuce wraps and kung pao tofu with these really tasty carrots and brown rice and enjoyed them. It is slowly getting easier and taking less thought now though after two months. I'm still hoping I will wake up some morning and miraculously like broccoli.

And maybe at some point I won't be the only fat, broccoli-hating vegan in the world.


2 comments:

  1. Lol, broccoli-hating vegan. I make this awesome homemade general tso's sauce that makes broccoli taste delicious! Good on you for turner down your old fav meal. Try going taking lil trips into the city so you can have some delicious vegan concoctions. Makes it easy to turn the stuff down at home when you know you can get an awesome vegan version somewheres else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I will get to try your sauce! I love general tso's! True, we try to sample vegan cuisine when we are in different cities. We have favorite places in Philly, DC, Chicago and now Colorado Springs (where we were last month!)

      Delete